Fall tryout schedule to be announced
While participation in Varsity Athletics is an important component of college life, student-athletes must remember that the primary purpose of their attendance at the College is the attainment of a certificate, diploma or degree.
All George Brown College varsity student-athletes must meet the George Brown College academic standards for participation.
In order to participate in any game involving OCAA or CCAA schools, all student-athletes must be full-time students in one of the following categories:
- Full time programs that leads to a diploma, degree, or certificate
- Tuition-short/Adult retraining programs
- Off-audit college programs
- Cooperative Education Placement
Grade Point Average
Grades will be calculated for eligibility at the completion of each semester. George Brown student-athletes are subject to maintaining a GPA per semester of 1.70 or higher on a 4.00 scale, which is the standard requirement for graduation from George Brown College certificate, diploma or advanced diploma programs. A GPA of 2.30 or higher is required for degree programs.
All athletes must also maintain a passing grade in all course subjects and attend class regularly. Failing to do so may result in sanctions.
Athletic Academic Support Program
The Athletic Academic Support Program is monitored primarily by the Athletics Academic Liaison and is designed to assist the achievement of academic goals by:
- Facilitating the student-athlete's academic success;
- Regularly reviewing academic progress;
- Regularly providing feedback and encouragement;
- Recognizing academic improvement; and
- Recognizing the achievement of academic excellence.
Ultimately, responsibility for academic success lies with the student-athlete. The Athletics Department is committed to assisting in the realization of that success.
- Athletic recruitment/retention scholarships
- Athletic bursaries for student-athletes demonstrating financial need
- Athletic awards for student-athletes achieving special honours in academics and/or athletics.